3/4/10

You better work, bitch.



Ah, the lovely words of RuPaul. I remember being 10, or 11 years old, in Stephanie Tabone's basement "workin it" to that song. And that's what today's blog is all about: workin it, bitch! Yesterday I went to Marshall's, a store that is my complete guilty pleasure. Betsey Johnson for only 50 bucks?? Yes, please!! And I tried on some ridiculous clothes that I never would wear out in public, and I stood in front of those ever unforgiving "changing room mirrors" and I did NOT hate what I saw. 


I did not sashay or shante, but I did smile at myself and then quickly change. I picked out new pants and new blouses for my new job that starts on Monday! Business casual! I can finally get out of retail-- I don't think I've ever been so happy to wear slacks. And to start off my new and improved life (so far), I bought myself a food journal--the really nice kind, big enough that I can write a lot in it but small enough that it fits in my purse nicely. 


What I wrote in it so far today, and what I plan on eating for the rest of the day (without being too calculated, but I'm a woman of habit). 


Woke up at 8:30 with a neck-ache. (waahh).
Breakfast at 9:00- Granola bar, greek yogurt-no fat, an apple, & a cup of tea.
Lunch at 12:30- Veggie burger with a slice of 60 calorie cheese, no bun, side of steamed and spicy vegetables.
Dinner (not sure what time yet-hopefully before 7) Veggie heaven, something tofu-y and delicious.

Something I find helpful is writing down when I wake up, when I eat, and how much I eat. It helps put things into consideration and most of the time you'll find you should eat more!! And get to eat more!


Now for dessert, this delicious recipe from Self.Com that I altered just a bit.

INGREDIENTS

  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder, plus 1 tsp for dusting
  • 1 cup prunes, pitted and chopped
  • 1/2 cup hot coffee
  • 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar


Instructions:
Heat oven to 350˚. Coat a 9" square cake pan with cooking spray--or just use parchment paper--it's easier. Dust with 1 tsp cocoa. Combine prunes and coffee in a bowl. Set aside to cool. Combine remaining cocoa, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large resealable plastic bag; and shake!! The shaking part is like, ridiculously fun. Add sugar, apple-sauce, egg white and 1 tsp of the vanilla to coffee-prune mixture. Empty bag into bowl; mix. Pour into prepared pan.  20 to 25 minutes should be enough, but do the toothpick test in case. Cool completely before removing and slicing. 

Topping:
Mix 1 tbsp water, remaining 1 tsp vanilla and gelatin in a small pan. Set aside until gelatin becomes clear, 10 to 15 minutes. Heat over low heat until gelatin melts. Mix gelatin, sour cream and confectioners' sugar in a bowl. Refrigerate until topping is firm, 10 to 15 minutes. Beat until smooth. Add a dollop to each slice. UMM DELICIOUS.

Enjoy this, enjoy today, enjoy this weekend. E-mail me if you made this recipe!! I would love to hear how it came out. 


Peace, Love, Well Being.

No comments:

Post a Comment